Yearly Archives: 2017


Principles for SFUSD School Assignment, Part II

I’m writing as a happy parent in SFUSD who has counseled numerous families over the years during the assignment process. For a moment, as school settles in, posting some lessons learned as a parent advocate. While roughly 80% of families receive a choice on their list, the remaining 20% quickly enter a painful process of […]


School and Medical Supplies

Back to School Tips for Children with Chronic Illness

Preparing a child or teen with chronic illness or medical complexities for back to school poses a unique level of anxiety and challenges. Worrying about how the school year will go for their health, whether the teachers and school will accommodate their needs, and if they will enjoy a satisfying social outlet like other children. I […]


Coping and Self Care When Your Child Is in the Hospital 1

When your child is sick in the hospital, it feels like you’ve entered an alternative universe. That heart ache hit me like a tidal wave while caring for my desperately ill son in two children’s hospitals for eight months straight in 2015. Scared witless as Crohn’s Disease spread inflammation throughout my son’s digestive track, all I […]

Boy in hospital

Hospitalized sick boy and younger healthy boy

How to Support a Mom or Dad Caring for a Child with Serious Illness 1

May 2015 was the worst Mother’s Day and birthday of my life. Watching over my desperately ill younger son lying in a hospital bed with a maze of tubes coming out of his nose and arm. There is nothing more painful for a Mom than watching your child suffer and worrying about how to make him well. Crohn’s […]


Principles for SFUSD School Assignment, Part I 1

The weeks leading up to school assignments are challenging for many, especially those of us in San Francisco, where our public school assignments go through a lottery of sorts. Given recent events, including delayed communication of school assignments to both parents and schools and changes to the process for twins (and perhaps other changes), I’d […]